Common Questions About Speeding Tickets

Speeding Tickets

If you have recently received a speeding ticket in North Carolina, you may have some questions about how to pay it and what to do. This can be especially true if you are not a North Carolina resident, as fighting the ticket may be difficult if you do not live here. Here are some common questions regarding speeding tickets in North Carolina.

Do I Have To Go To Court?

If you do not want to contest your ticket, you will not have to go to court. In most cases, you can just pay the ticket instead of appearing in court. However, if you pay the ticket you are essentially pleading guilty to the charge and this may cause your insurance rates to increase or even your license to get suspended if you have several consecutive driving violations.

If you do want to fight the ticket, however, you will need to appear in court unless you hire an attorney and complete a waiver of appearance. Completing this form allows the attorney to go to court for you. This can save you time and money and will allow an attorney to work on your behalf without you interrupting your schedule to appear in court.

Do I Have To Pay the Ticket?

You will have to pay for the ticket unless you or your attorney fight it in court. It’s never a good idea to get a ticket and then do nothing about it, especially if you are from another state. You can receive more fines for leaving your ticket unpaid and you may even lose your license as a result.

Can I Lose My License?

You may lose your license for a speeding ticket, depending on the situation. The following types of offenses may result in the DMV revoking your driving rights.

  • When the speed limit was less than 70 mph, and you were caught driving faster than 75 mph.
  • When the speed limit was 70 mph, and you were caught driving faster than 80 mph.
  • You receive two or more speeding tickets in a 12-month span when you were going faster than 55 mph.
  • You were caught driving more than 15 mph over the speed limit in a work zone.

If you have recently been issued a speeding ticket, it may be a good idea to contact an experienced traffic violation lawyer from May Law LLP to represent you.